Author Topic: Adult Beginners  (Read 1838 times)

Maple

• View Profile
Adult Beginners
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:10:37 PM »
A friend of mine from another piano board is joining me in this thread. We are both from Piano World. We both are beginners. I have a years experience with a method book and teacher. I'm not only unhappy with my progress. I'm very impressed with this System. Although it may appear to be. Don't think this is a closed discussion between the two of us. It is open and welcome anyone to join in.

We both are starting at step one with the System. 

I do think it is sad this discussion board hasn't gotten more participation. The System is just too good not to. I'm not interested in the popular social websites. I like to joke around a lot on PW and socialize. We hope to keep this discussion focused and creative.

Mary Gae

• Co-Author of Artistry at the Piano
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Artistry at the Piano
Re: Adult Beginners
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »
Welcome, Maple!

And does your Step 1 mean the Introduction to Music? I hope so, and I also commend you. This is where we learn the language of music. How does one read a language one does not know, understand and appreciate? One cannot. This is the first major flaw in most music courses. They are piano methods rather than music study

Please feel free to let your imagination, sense of humor, and delight in learning run the show in this book. The more you invest in it, the more you will discover about music and about yourselves.

I have not yet met your friend but perhaps if push on a bit, he will appear?

I have two huge grand pianos in my ground level Artistry studio, and they are my best friends. They always tell me and my students when we have done well, and when we have not!  Honesty of the highest degree.

Good evening, and thank you again for joining. We need some vitality on this Board (i.e. "bored!") I must warn you that I have had considerable trouble losing my responses on this Board. So far, so good on this one.

The Author of the Introduction to Music

Maple

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:28 PM »
Yes, the step 1 means Introduction to Music. The other guy. He's on a primer book that comes before Introduction to Music? He will start in the next month.

I've only read a little from Book 3 for Introduction to Music. Others are on the way.

Thank you for the welcome.

Maple

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 02:51:45 AM »
Now that I have everything. That other person might have been talking about the Introduction to Music as his "primer" book? If so, will take him a while. No big deal. I'm in this for the long haul.

I'm only looking through everything now. Am making other major changes in my life. I already can play. Just unhappy with it. I'm here because I want to play fine wine. Not vinegar. It just ain't music until it's wine. I get so much out of the small parts of music that I have played well.

Am already getting much out of what I'm going over. Taking on a completely different view of what I'm doing. I like it. Will go over what I've already covered again. At least once. I appreciate your advise about the more I invest in it. I want to get all out of it I possibly can.

I'm wondering about your statement about your two grands in your studio. Is that a hint that something can be arranged to come there sometime? A short checking me out and learning period? I know I would much rather do something like this than to go to something like an adult summer keys camp.
Also I know there is nothing like a nice Grand. I simply cannot have an acoustic. Out of the question for now. I do have one of the best digitals there is available. Would love to get a chance to check out my settings against a really good Grand. I can adjust velocity curves, etc. on what I have.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to set up a recording check. Or could even do it live on Skype? Kinda an online lesson. Get to the point on a level where I'd like good criticism on what I'm doing with a certain piece. I have no problem paying for your time.

Ron